Welcome to my page of African guitar & African bass guitar! Here you can see videos, lessons with TAB, and read articles on this topic. Download tablatures with sheet music in Adobe Acrobat .pdf, Power Tab Editor .ptb or Guitar Pro .gp5 file formats! You can also find guitar and bass backing tracks.
Guitar music is awesome!
Are you into soukous, sebene, maskandi or Mali music? Just keep coming back from time to time. You’ll be able to find videos and essays for all kinds of different African music genres and styles. Whether it’s West African music, salegy or Zulu, I’ll attempt to keep creating clean guitar and bass videos for all these styles.
The hidden gem of Africa
Africa’s music can still be considered a hidden treasure to the rest of the world. The old continent’s culture has many secrets and gifts waiting to be discovered by the inquiring minds of us, curious people. There has been a great amount of creativity expressed on both the guitar and the bass by African musicians throughout the years. Knowing that, it’s not surprising that so many of the now well known popular genres had their origins in Africa. A great segment of our well known music has been influenced and shaped by those African sounds. Think of musical styles like the blues, R&B or jazz. But also, many different sorts of Latin American and Caribbean genres all have their roots in the music of Africa. On top of that, a big part of the polyrhythmic and polyphonic nature of both classical and pop music come from Africa as well. Yet the continent’s music in its original, purer, subtler and probably less egotistical form remains virtually unknown to most of us.
Tradition and influence
Africa always had its traditional stringed instruments, like the kora, ngoni or akonting. Both the guitar and the bass guitar in their current form are relatively newer than the previously mentioned, ancient ones. Nonetheless, they quickly gained popularity in the African continent. Not only that, but the playing styles got majorly influenced by those of the older, more traditional ones as well. Clearly, Africa has embraced the guitar and its even newer cousin, the bass guitar. You, with a great set of ears and a natural affinity towards music might be able to recognize when you hear a guitar or bass being played one of the genuinely African ways. This site is for you, my friend.
Need a custom tablature?
- African soukous bass & guitar lesson, TAB & backing tracks – “Full Baskets”
- African soukous guitar lesson + TAB – lesson 10
- Fingerpicking African guitar + TAB – lesson 09
- African guitar – finger picking with TAB – lesson 08
- African fingerpicking guitar + TAB – lesson 07
- African polyphonic guitar – bass line + melody – lesson 06
- West African guitar tutorial + TAB – lesson 05
- West African guitar with TAB – lesson 04
- African polyrhythm on guitar – lesson 03 with TAB
- African polyrhythmic guitar + TAB, lesson 02
- African guitar + TAB, polyrhythm – lesson 01
- Equipment guide for African electric guitar